Tuesday, March 8, 2022

πr2 , where r is 5, in P17

 





I was born and reared a city boy and, up to recently, spent little time in the country. Three years ago we 
moved, lock, stock and two screaming bairns, to the heart of the country. We live at the end of a farm track, off a country lane, off the old road to Kinsale, seven kilometres from the town.

Ezra Pound’s mistress, Olga Rudge, used to say ‘I was brought up on mean street, and the further down you go the meaner it gets. I lived in the last house on the left.’ I live in the bucolic equivalent. The further down the lane, the more country it gets and I live in the last house on the left.

So, a few months ago, I sat down with my compass and map and drew my five kilometre lockdown circle. The circle I can play in for the foreseeable future. My school maths calculates the area to be πr2, where r is five, or seventy nine square kilometres. It sounds like an awful lot, and yet, did I mention bucolic?

So I started walking and, although the town of Kinsale is not even a tangent to my circle, I discovered I live in the gourmet capital of the world. In the summer and autumn there is a buffet of apples, blackberries and wild rosehips. There are mushrooms and wild garlic, and baby nettles for soup. There are elderflowers for wine, damsons for jam and sloes for gin to be picked after the first frost. And if killing is your game there are pheasant to be roasted, hares to be jugged and ducks to be a-la-oranged.

But, all year round, you have the honesty boxes. Farmers who take great pride in what they produce and sell at the farm gate.

According to Google Maps, it is 2.7km from me to Horizon Farm but, If you are not a crow, it is more than twice that. But the walk is great, following farm tracks that once linked village to village and winding roads following landscape and land ownership. There is a stream to navigate that is in spate as I cross, a stream that ran red for three days with Irish blood after the battle of Kinsale. A vertical hill slows you as you reach Puckane but the view is spectacular, overlooking a plain where Don Juan Del Aquilla and the two Hughs  confronted the old enemy with the intention of banishing them from Ireland for once and for all.  This was no little skirmish on the edge of Europe.  This was full on, heavy weight, eyeball to eyeball stuff with all of Europe on the brink of war. And in the cold mid-winter, now, the ghosts are never far away.

Horizon Farm sells eggs. It sells jam sometimes, salad sometimes and Puddings at Christmas. But it is mostly eggs. Free range eggs from the hens you can see running around the farm. Some brown eggs some white, some big, some small, and all laid out on square trays like cobblestones on an old farmyard. Taste these once and you will never again eat a battery egg. A couple of eggs lightly poached on buttered toast is simplicity and perfection itself.

Heading south from Horizon Farm over the hill of Puckane and down through another battle site to the loamy soil of Ballymona and Kielys potato farm. A sign says ‘British Queens for Sale’ and I pray they get the geographical irony. Again, a shed stands at the farm gate but his one is tall and narrow like a sentry hut, filled to the rafters with 5kg bags of potatoes.

The French rely on the word Terroir to convey a sense of place and environment but it is more than that. It includes culture and history and tradition. The same applies here and it is difficult to convey the beautiful simplicity of freshly boiled baby potatoes from the farm around the corner.

We head west now and across the river to Horsehill Farm outside Ballinadee. Again, Horsehill sells a variety of fresh vegetables and fruit in season but it is the raw milk in bottles that I have come for. The milk changes quite a lot with the seasons and the creamy yellow of the pasture fed summer fades to white with the silage diet of winter. Coffee and wine manufacturers all use the concept of single estate to sell. There is no mixing of products, no homogenisation, everything is produced here.


 
I’m back home now and looking at my lockdown map again. The broad river Bandon cuts through the land from North West to South East and looking at it I think, if I could learn to fish, I might never leave here.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment